Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Dust Lands Trilogy (books 46, 47, and 48)

                    By Moira Young

I didn't write reviews for the two books that came before this in the series because they were rereads for me. I read them to refresh my mind before I read the concluding novel. In this review I am going to provide some background from the first two books before I dive into reviewing Raging Star. When I first started reading Blood Red Road I was a bit thrown off by the grammar and spelling errors. Soon I was able to read without them bothering me and I began to understand why Young wrote the way she did. It made Saba a more constant and reliable narator. The books are set in a post-apocalyptic desert world. There are artifacts from the past that have weird names. At first the names confused me. I couldn't tell the difference between the bolt shooter and the fire shooter. As I read on a began to skim over the names and just focus on the idea of the weapon. At the end of Rebel Heart I was angry at Saba. She was selfish: she forgot her sister was kidnapped, almost killed herself, slept with the enemy, she used Tommo's feelings against him, and lead Maev to her death. At the beginning of Raging Star I understood why her team didn't fully trust her. For the whole entire book I was focused on Creed and Tommo. I thought one of them was the traitor because of their hate for Jack and their distrust of Saba. I began to focus on Tommo though for a bunch of reasons. Saba said that Tommo was a better kisser the last time he kissed he and Molly had been sleeping with the traitor and teaching him what she knew. I thought that he got better at kissing because Molly ahd taught him. Tommo also had a bracelet that matched DeMalo's, I figured that was the symbol to the Tonton. He also had the twine. I was so sure that it was Tommo that when I found out it was Lugh I was beyond shocked. Emmi had been shot and was dying and I was already blown away and then Lugh turned out to be the traitor. The shocks kjept coming when I realized that Tommo was DeMalo's son, Lugh died, and I found out that Sabahad been pregnant but haad miscarried. In the end all loose ends were tied up. Tommo found his dad (even though he died right after). Peg built her flyign machine. Jack and Saba worked out their issues. Molly realized her heart's desire was Creed. Molly was pregnant with Lugh's son. Saba restarted New Eden including all people. All in all it was one of the best concluding novels in any trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment