Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Confess by Colleen Hoover (a book with a one word title)

If you haven't read anything by Colleen Hoover yet, shame on you. Colleen Hoover is the queen of the new adult genre. I absolutely love all of her books and this one wasn't any different. 

THIS POST HAS MAJOR SPOILERS! DO NOT READ ON IF YOU WANT TO READ THE BOOK, BECAUSE THIS BOOK THRIVES OFF OF THE CONFESSIONS THAT ARE REVEALED.

 I find it really amazing that Colleen Hoover can create a heart-wrenching relationship in just a few pages like she did in the prologue of this book. This book had a lot of mystery in the beginning that kept me completely absorbed in the book trying to figure out how everything connected. I only figured out one secret before it was revealed. I figured right off the bat that Owen had to know Auburn from the time when his dad was in the hospital. I was beyond surprised when I found out that Auburn had a son with Adam. I was not expecting that at all. I loved how Owen handled that situation and was willing to sacrifice his relationship with Auburn because he saw how much she loved AJ. I also was not expecting that the drugs that Owen was arrested for possession of were his fathers. I thought that maybe they were Harrison's or that he was a drug dealer to try and make money. I was so mad at Owen's dad for letting his son take to the blame and get arrested for his mistakes. I understood why he wouldn't take the blame but he should have gone into rehab or something to avoid the situation in the first place. 

Seeing the struggle that Auburn was going through with AJ and Lydia broke my heart. Lydia was a huge (pardon my French) BITCH! I get that she loved her grandson because he could "replace" the hole her dead son left, but she had no right to take him from his mother. She made it seem like she was the one helping Auburn but really she was taking AJ and making up excuses not to left his mother visit him. I hated how Auburn felt that she had to date Trey in order to get to her son, even though she felt nothing for him. When Owen said that Trey was a bad person I believed it, but I wasn't sure how Trey was a bad person. Owen said that Trey was the first person her ever punched and I assumed that they knew each other from high school or just from around town. When Trey tried to assault Auburn and then she still tried to justify his actions I hated him even more. Then he ruined Owen's paintings and framed him just so he could have Auburn! I trusted Owen's judgement but i never believed that Trey would turn out to be that bad. I liked how all of the issues were resolved because it was realistic and it made sense. Auburn finally got custody of AJ and Trey dropped the charges against Owen. I loved that Auburn was finally able to stick it to her terrible mother-in-law. 

The final chapter of the book is what pushed this novel up to the top of my favorite Colleen Hoover list. When I was looking through the paintings I noticed that the one that Adam gave Auburn was in the same style as Owen's paintings. I thought that was because maybe Owen recreated the painting for her after they fixed all of their problems. I did not expect at all that Owen had painted it and given it to Adam when he was still in the hospital. This chapter had tears pouring down my face. I loved that the reason Owen punched Trey was because he wanted Adam and Auburn to have more time to say goodbye. It fit so well with what I expected of Owen and it was heart-breaking and heart-warming all at the same time. 

I wouldn't change a single thing about this book. It was absolute perfection and I completely loved not just the romance but the secrets and the plot. This book was packed full with all the emotions that I expect when I read one of Colleen Hoover's books. The only "negative" comment that I have is that I wish I got to find out what the confessions were that Auburn and Owen wrote when they first met and Auburn shoved them in the box. I would have loved to know what thoughts they had before they really knew each other. 

MY RATING: *****

1 comment: