Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Cuckoo's Calling (a book that takes place in a different country)

My third read of the year was The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling). This book counted towards my reading challenge because it took place in a different country.  I was super pumped to read a mystery novel written by the great mind that wrote the Harry Potter series. Unfortunately, I was severely disappointed. The characters were likeable enough but the plot had little going for it. For the first three-quarters of the book all that happened was the main character, Coromon  Strike interviewed all of the people that interacted with Lula. Strike seemed to be getting clues from these meetings but as a reader they didn't offer anything. It wasn't until the last few pages that it all began to come together and then the book was over. To write a successful mystery novel I think the author needs to drop clues that keep the reader interested and this book had none of those. Also the ending (the killer) was very predictable, not because of the clues that were revealed (or lack of) but because the "twist" was something that I have seen in many other movies and books. Overall I was completely disappointed and I will not be continuing on with this serious. I wish I could say that J.K. Rowling could write books other than Harry Potter but sadly this book didn't prove that.

MY RATING: **

No comments:

Post a Comment