Monday, January 26, 2015

Wonder by R.J. Palacio (a book that made me cry)

I continue to crops challenges off my list by checking off "a book that made me cry". This is the fifth book I have read this year towards my sixty book goal. This book had been recommended to me by so many people that I just had to read it; plus I got a copy of it for my birthday! When I started it I wasn't really sure what to expect besides a story about a boy with a facial deformity and honestly the book didn't go much beyond that. Don't get me wrong the book was beautiful and moving but I felt it was a bit lacking in plot. For example... Have you ever been to see some animated film with your younger sibling or cousin? It's a cute film but the plot goes little beyond the underdog hero saving the day. That's kind of what this book is like. That being said, I did still really enjoy this book but since it was so hyped I went into it expecting to have my mind blown while using up a whole box of tissues. Instead I teared up a bit throughout the book but I didn't really cry until the end. The thing about the copy of the book I got was that it included "The Julian Chapter". This is a novella that the author wrote after Wonder to explain and give a voice to one of the more controversial characters. This chapter was the only point in the book that I truly cried. When Juilian's grandmere is telling him the story of the crippled boy from her school i began to cry for the first time. You have to understand that I am not really a book cryer but this chapter that explained Julian's hatred and his remorse was one of the saddest but also uplifting points in the book. So, if you plan on reading this book read "the Julian chapter"! If you have already read the book but didn't read the novella, read "the Julian chapter"!

My Rating:⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

No comments:

Post a Comment