Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Vicious by V.E. Schwab (a book written by someone under 30)

I'm writing this post about a week after I finished the book, so I'm going to make it short because I don't necessarily remember all of the details. I am using this book for a book written by someone under 30 because Victoria Schwab is 27. I was going to use it for a book with magic but since their powers are technically based on science I figured it didn't really count.

Going into this book I had incredibly high expectations because of the non-stop hype on booktube and Goodreads. Unfortunately, I didn't think it lived up to the hype or my expectations. I'm not saying the book was bad, I really did enjoy it, it just wasn't all that I expected it to be. That being said I am still very excited for V.E. Schwab's upcoming release, A Darker Shade of Magic, but I don't think that I am going to spend the $25 on it anymore. I'm hoping with the new release that I will be able to read it before it becomes hyped. I have found that I tend to REALLY enjoy books when I know little to nothing going into them. If I go in with a neutral mindset I am usually pleasantly surprised, like I was with Snow Like Ashes (a great book).

My faults with the book have to do with the lack of plot. Although the book spanned over 10 years it really on discussed a few days I detail and most of the plot centered around 3 days. The book is very character oriented which I tend not to enjoy as books that are more plot based. I loved the characters in the book, and I loved to hate them but I found that I wasn't all that invested in their story. I actually like the character of Sydney and her story, more than I did the main characters. I think I was disappointed mainly because of the hype surrounding the book. If I had read it when it first came out I might have  book more but as it was I found the book to be entertaining but not as engaging as I thought it would be. It took me about a week to read this book even though it is relatively short compared to other books I have read.

MY RATING: *** 1/2

I hope to be posting another book review soon because I am just about halfway through Outlander. (loving it so far & completely in love with Jamie)

No comments:

Post a Comment