Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (a book a friend recommended)

I have read a few books this week but haven't had time to write a review, so today I am going to be playing catch-up. Early this week I finished The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater, which I am using for a book a friend recommended. I had been considering reading this book for awhile but a friend's insistence was what finally got me to pick it up. I had been dissapointed before by Maggie's books but this was surprised me. Many people say it is hard to get into but I didn't really have any trouble. I thought that the first few chapters ended with some surprising sentences. They left me hanging and I couldn't help but to read on. The concept of the book is very original and though I have read books that have mentioned ley lines, none of them have taken the approach that this book did. I loved the characters because they were all unique and you kept learning new things about them and seeing different sides of them. Blue is a very unique character and her situation is even more interesting.

Some spoilers may follow...

 The fact that if she kisses her true love, he will die is nothing short of an attention getter. Even though Steifvater insinuates that Gansey is Blue's true love I was still leaning towards Adam for most of the book. I think there will be a twist and Gansey won't be her true love and her will die some other way. When they found the body in the woods with Noah's wallet I was hoping there was going to be some reasonable explanation and wasn't expecting the twist at all. When it was revealed that Noah was actually dead it was like The Sixth Sense all over again. I was so into the book but the last few chapters of the book were really confusing to me. When Adam said he was sacrifice himself I thought that he was going to die but he didn't and the ley line still woke up. Also, the last line of the book didn't mean anything to me at all but the friend that reccomended the book t me assured me that the line is explained more in the next book. I am anticipating reading the next book because I want to find out what happened to Adam and what Ronan's cryptic comment meant.

MY RATING: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment