Tuesday, March 10, 2015

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner (book by a new to you author)

The explanation for how this book meets the criteria of my book challenge is pretty obvious, so I don't really have to go into that for this book.

This book was marketed as the Titanic in space but I didn't really get that. The space ship does "sink" but it is at the very beginning of the book. The book is actually more of a survival story on an unknown planet. Also I was expecting a lot of romance because the book instantly begins with a connection between the two main characters but there wasn't really any romancy stuff until close to the end. I liked the idea of the book but I think a few parts could have been changed or explained more to make the book even better.

Spoilers...

I know some people have issues with Lilac as a character but I really enjoyed her. I loved that she was kind of princess-y but at the same time she was an awesome mechanic. She also understand the reality of her situation. It isn't her being bratty she just doesn't want Tarver to be hurt because he gets close to her. I liked Tarver's character too, but I don't think he had quite as much personality as Lilac did. 
Most people that I hear criticize the book don't like the ending. I have to agree with them on some level. I didn't like that right after Lilac and Tarver finally connected, Lilac is killed lighting the fuse. I think she could have been smarter and made a longer fuse or used something else to light it. Then after Tarver grieves for just one day, Lilac "comes back to life". I just think it felt like the ending was rushed and Lilac died and was brought back to life in such a short amount or time. I did think the explanation of how she was brought back to life though. I thought it made sense and it worked out nicely because I was pretty upset when Lilac died. Overall I liked the book but I had some issues with the romance and the way the book was marketed as the Titanic. 

MY RATING: **** 

No comments:

Post a Comment