Monday, April 27, 2015

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson (a book with more than 500 pages)

Aaahhhhhh! I finally read a Brandon Sanderson book and I understand what all the hype is about! This book was so good. It had a great world, magic system, and characters. I loved the politics involved in the plot and the way it was constantly changing into something I wasn't expecting. A great adult fantasy read!

Spoilers Follow!

I have to say that I loved Vin's character and I loved seeing how she grew in the novel. In the beginning she was weak and didn't trust anyone but by the end she was a BOSS! I also liked learning about her background before the crew, even if it wasn't mentioned very often. Her story is one filled with even more pain than Kell's but she was able to overcome it. I was thrilled to find out that her either didn't betray her and even died for her because I think that realization will go a long way in helping her trust others.
The other characters were equally interesting but Kelsier was the hardest to figure out. I wasn't able to discern his true motivations until after his death because I doubted him just like the other members did. I couldn't help but compare his inner dialect to the diary of the "Lord Ruler" and I was concerned that he would be corrupted. The scene where he dies was so abrupt and unexpected that I had to reread the paragraph to make sure he was really dead. I kept thinking that there was a twist and that he would burst into the shop smiling but it never happened. I felt terrible for Vin because he was one of the first people she was able to truly trust. 
The other characters were equally awesome and I can't wait to see how they develope in the next book. I am particularly excited to read about Elend as king and his relationship with Vin. At the end I was a little concerned that she wouldn't go back to him but she did (thank the Lord Ruler). I am curious about their relationship because they haven't even kissed in the first book. I get that it is a fantasy novel, and it's written by a guy, but I can't help but want a little romance to spice things up. I am also eager to learn more about the Deepness and maybe even the man who was supposed to be the Hero of Ages. (BTW I am proud to announce that I figured out that the Lord Ruler Rasheik before it was actually revealed, but I was still surprised).

MY RATING: *****










No comments:

Post a Comment